Sunday, August 10, 2014

Lorna's Sugar Detox: Day 8 & 9

Today I feel:

While reading Lorna's journal entries I realize I've been on one giant sugar-rush this week. It wasn't really intentional but I've had chocolate EVERY single day this week. John and I are "starting fresh" though and will be eating clean starting NOW!!! I might even say no to treats at work....maybe....possibly. While I have been pretty bad sugar-wise I have started hitting the weights again and doing Zumba once a week. Why has no one told me about Zumba?! It's seriously my favorite thing ever. Dancing + working out = happy Iryna. 

Lorna: 21 Day Sugar Detox, Day 8

Today's lesson: always check the labels, because even when you think you are being fairly healthy, a surprising about of sugar will sneak in there!

For snacks today, I had two little pots of nuts from Tesco. Of course, I should have eaten these snacks on two different days, but I'm  greedy - even when I am on a health kick.

One pot was just 60g of Brazil nuts. Ok, they have a good chunk of fat in them, but only minuscule amounts of salt and sugar, and anyway, these are good fats!

A while later I got peckish again (read - greedy) so I dived into the second pot, which I knew to be a bit of a naughty one: it had almonds and cranberries and some oat cluster things that somehow made the whole thing 'granola'. Anyway, I devoured this little pot before reading the label... big mistake! At only 50g, it had 10g  of sugar! So after my deliberate lapse yesterday, today I suffered an accidental one. I will have to be an angel for the rest of the week to make up!
Let's see how I did on the rest of the day...
Left the house at the crack of dawn to be at IKEA before 8am but didn't eat anything until about 9.30amor perhaps even a bit later. It wasn't exactly healthy, but it was sugar free and very very filling.

Breakfast: (09.30) IKEA fry-up: A mini omelette thing, 2 sausages, 2 rashers and 2 hash browns.
Sorry, no pic of this feast as I wolfed it down in minutes - did I mention I was starving!

Lunch: I didn't eat it cos I was in full flow of productivity and didn't want to break the spell. It was this though:
It would have been v healthy - quinoa, ham and veggies!

Snacks: (14.00) 60g Brazil nuts; (15.00) 50g granola mix

Dinner: (20.00) Brown rice with ham (gammon) and peas.

Variations of this dinner seem to be popping up a lot, but that's cos it is tasty and filling and doesn't leave me craving a pasta fix.

I drank gallons of water but nothing else today - too busy for herbal tea, and I did a good bit of walking too - hopefully enough to make up for my sugar slip - up earlier!

Total exercise: 16,616 steps (approx. 13.56km) which burned around 621 kcal.

Lorna: 21 Day Sugar Detox, Day 9

Right, this is it... I need to be 100% on the straight and narrow because I have been a little too flexible with the rules of this detox. I'm supposed to be avoiding all sugar, dairy and processed/refined foods. I'm also trying to avoid fermented foods like soy (and alcohol of course!) because that can have the same impact as sugar on your digestive system (or so I've heard).

So breakfast this morning was super healthy:

Breakfast: (07.00) A poached egg and fried green peppers and my fizzy vitamin tablet.

I need all the help I can get with my energy levels this week, it is a bit of a crazy one!
And as I keep learning, the key to success is planning ahead so I have not one but two superfood salads in the fridge at school.

Snack: (09.30) 60g cashew nuts and a small green apple

Lunch: (11.45) Superfood Salad
If you don't have the UK supermarket chain Marks & Spencers you are missing out because they are absolutely fab when you are trying to eat healthy. They also do amazing naughty food... The salted caramel cheesecake is out of this world!

Anyway, this salad is basically quinoa, almonds, peanuts, sprouted beans and pumpkin seeds, and tiny pieces of crunchy broccoli. It comes with ginger and soy dressing but I dumped that as I am determined to be angelic!
I'm heading to a TV show recording tonight and it's going to be a late one so I need to eat again before I leave... The school canteen's choices are pretty unhealthy so when I hear that one of my classmates is at the local deli, I call her to place an order. All their speciality sandwiches contain cheese, which I am trying to avoid - such a shame because the goats cheese and roasted veg or bacon, brie and cranberry sound way more appealing than the order I put in: brown bread (they give me a wholewheat roll) with chicken, peppers and a little mayo (this part clearly doesn't seem to exist in their world as it comes back swimming in the stuff!).

Later:
I had been pretty successful in avoiding bread up until today, but clearly that roll was the start of a slippery slope to carbs... ..

The TV show thing was a disaster and we ended up sitting in a room for about 4 hours doing nothing... and what happens when you are sitting around doing nothing? You graze, of course. I ended up eating more bread in the form of brown bread chicken salad sandwiches, and eating crisps as well and I felt horrible afterwards - I was still bloated the next morning.

Very disappointed because I had been so determined to be good today.
Oh well, tomorrow is another day...

Total exercise: 11,773 steps  (9.34km) - 402kcal

No comments:

Post a Comment